It can be tempting to share your food with your furry best friend. But just because it’s perfectly suitable for human consumption, doesn’t mean that it’s safe for dogs as well. Because of their different metabolism, some foods that are edible for humans can pose hazards for dogs.

Because we care about you and your canine companion, we have put together a list of foods that can be toxic for dogs. Please call your vet immediately if you suspect that your dog has ingested any of the foods on this list.

Nuts

Nuts such as walnuts, pecans, macadamia and almonds contain high amounts of fats and oils. This can cause tremors, vomiting, weakness, depression and hyperthermia in dogs. Symptoms may be worse when eaten with chocolate. It may even lead to death in some cases.

Chocolate

Most people think of chocolates as treats. However, chocolates can be toxic to dogs. Even just a little bit of chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea. When ingested in large amounts, it can cause tremors, seizure, abnormal heart rhythm and even death.

Chocolates contain a very toxic substance called methyxantines. Make sure you keep chocolates off counters and other places your dog can reach.

Avocado

No matter how good you think the guacamole is, you should never share it with your dog. Avocado contains a toxic substance called persin, which can cause breathing difficulties, upset stomach and fluid build up in the chest.

Grapes

Grapes may be a fruit, but it can be poisonous to dogs. In fact, even a small amount can make a dog ill. The dog may become depressed and lethargic after eating grapes. Eventually, the dog may suffer from kidney failure. Death from kidney failure may occur within 3 to 4 days.

Alcohol

Beverages like wine, liquor and beer contains alcohol. You should never let your dog have any of these beverages. Just a small amount of alcohol can cause difficulty of breathing, problems with coordination, diarrhea and vomiting in dogs.

Alcohol has the same effect on a dog’s brain and liver, but it can be significantly more toxic to dogs than to humans.