The good food and good company that come along with Christmas is upon us. Since we love to include our canine pals in the seasonal festivities, they’re looking forward to it too.
Candies, chocolates, alcohol and baked goodies are abundant during the holiday season. Although, indulging on these goodies will do nothing but add a few pounds, even a small amount of any of these foods can be downright dangerous for your dogs.
Here’s a list of holiday foods your pet should never eat.
Chocolates are one of our favorite holiday indulgences, but please don’t share it with your furry friend. Note that dark chocolates are more toxic than white chocolates. When ingested by pets, it can cause abdominal pains, vomiting, muscle tremors, sever agitation, seizure, irregular heartbeat and death. This is because they aren’t capable of breaking down certain components in chocolate.
Alcohol is rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, making it more dangerous for pets. Dogs that have ingested alcohol can suffer from GI upset, fever, disorientation and vomiting. Intoxicated animals can experience respiratory failure. Better keep the cold beer to yourself.
Turkey meat and skin
Slipping your dog a small bite of turkey is okay, but too much of it can be dangerous. Your dog’s pancreas can become inflamed from consuming too much fatty meat and develop a condition called canine pancreatitis.
Dough or cake batter
Raw dough, when ingested, can expand in his/her stomach. It is also possible for the stomach to twist, which would require emergency surgery. Be sure to clean up any scraps to keep your pet from ingesting it.
Macadamia nuts may look harmless, but they’re actually very bad for dogs. It can cause toxic reactions such as elevated body temperature, tremors, vomiting, joint stiffness, lack of coordination and weakness.
If you suspect that your dog has consumed any of these items, rush him/her to a veterinarian for immediate treatment.