The holiday season is upon us. Most pet owners intend to include their furry family member in the festivities. We’d like to remind you to stay alert for potential hazards. The food and decorations that make the holidays so much fun cause serious harm to your pets.

We want the holiday season to be a happy time for everyone. The following guidelines will help you keep your dogs safe during the holidays.

Christmas trees

Christmas trees and their decorations can pose too many dangers for pets. Some dogs would attempt to eat the decorations and would chew on a live or artificial tree. Rubber balls and small decorations are the most common causes of choking in dogs. Pine needles can puncture holes in a dog’s intestine when ingested. Snow globes often contain anti-freeze, which is poisonous to animals. Avoid hanging any ornaments at pet level. Also, secure your Christmas tree to the wall or ceiling to keep it from falling.

Festive foods

Chocolates and baked goodies are abundant this time of the year. It may seem like a nice treat for your furry friend, but pets and sweets don’t mix. It can wreak havoc on their digestive system. Certain desserts can be deadly too. Instead of giving them sweets or cookies, consider looking for special animal treats. Make sure your pet doesn’t have access to treats. Keep the food out of reach of your pet.

Candles

Candles are very popular holiday decor. They can be attractive to animals because of their taste, smell and texture. Dogs may also get curious around a lit flame. Take extra caution when using candles. Keep them on high shelves and make sure not to leave them unattended.

Plants

Holiday plants such as lilies, poinsettias, mistletoe, Christmas rose and holly can be hazardous to animals. When ingested, they can cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and can be potentially fatal.  Keep plants in a place where your pets won’t be able to get at them. Or better yet, opt for plastic or silk greenery instead of live holiday plants.