Pet jerky is a tasty snack that is irresistible to your furry friend. However, pet jerky treats have been linked to more than 1,000 deaths in dogs. Despite the extensive study that was done by the Food and Drug Administration, they still can’t find what causes these fatalities.
If your dog loves the taste of jerky, consider making it at home. Jerky is not that difficult to make. It only requires a few ingredients. Plus, you can be sure that your beloved pet friend will be snacking on healthy and tasty snack. It’s also completely natural. There are no preservatives, no chemicals and no fillers. Try this recipe and I’ll guarantee that this will be their new favorite snack.
What you need:
1 pound boneless chicken breast
½ cup vegetable oil
Your choice of dog-friendly season: sage, rosemary, parsley
- Wash the chicken thoroughly and remove all traces of fats. Fat slows down the dehydrating process and will make the jerky spoil faster.
- Place the chicken in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat over to 200⁰F.
- Take the chicken out of the oven. It should be hard, not frozen.This makes it much easier to cut the chicken.
- Slice the chicken into strips, approximately 3mm thick. Be sure to use a sharp knife.
- Coat the chicken with a few dog seasonings.
- Line the baking tray with foil for faster cleanup. Then place the cookie tray on top.
- Line the chicken strips on the cookie tray, making sure they do not touch each other.
- Bake for approximately 2 hours. Flip chicken strips halfway through. Your jerky should be dry and firm, not soft and spongy.
- Remove from oven and allow the jerky to cool.
This homemade chicken jerky may not last that long because they’re so good. Your dog will surely love it. But in case they do, be sure to store them in the refrigerator.