Halloween can be a fun time for many of us, especially for children, but it can be a nightmare for your pets. That said, it is important to take some precautionary measures to keep your pets them safe on the spookiest night of the year.
Keep them inside
Many dogs get loose when the door opens. Seeing kids wearing spooky costumes and yelling loudly for their candy may scare your dog and increase the chance of him running away.
Pets have been lost, stolen or died on Halloween night. Keep your pets in a quiet room before the trick-or-treating starts.
Keep lanterns and candles out of reach
While there’s no harm in taking a bite out of the pumpkin, that burning candle you used to light it up can. Add to that, intestinal blockage may occur if large pieces of pumpkin are swallowed.
Easy to reach decorations can be knocked over or eaten; thus, causing burns, electrical shock, foreign body ingestion and choking.
Don’t give them candies and chocolates
Remember that human treats are not usually good for dogs. Candies, especially chocolates, can be dangerous and can cause serious health issues, even death, in animals. Make sure all treats are out of your pet’s reach. Consider keeping pet-safe treats on hand to satisfy your curious pets.
Dressing up is not for animals
Some dogs like dressing up. Others feel uncomfortable wearing clothing of any type. If you do decide to dress Fido up on Halloween, make sure it’s comfortable enough that he can move freely. If the costume is too tight, it may cause sores to develop or could cut off circulation. Forgo masks or anything that can cover his eyes or ears. Also, remove small accessories that can be chewed or swallowed.